Actions and progress
The TECMINE project is ongoing!
The project is divided in different technical actions:
- Morphology restoration by the implementation of different techniques such as GeoFluvTM, with focus on identifying and replicating a reference scenario (similar characteristics of lithology, climate and soil) and managing water flows in order to reduce erosion.
- Rock slopes landscape integration by techniques based on identifying instabilities and acting on them to eliminate long-term risks by seeking the geotechnical stability of the strata.
- New top soil creation by mixing the material available in the mine (i.e. sand, clay and colluvium) and adding organic matter.
- Site preparation for plants by new Microcatchment to maximize water availability for plants which is the main limiting factor in ecological restoration in Mediterranean region.
- Plantation of 10.000 plants of 32 different species and creation of 8 new habitat types (3 priority habitats: 9530, 9560 and 6220)
Along the project, different communication actions are planned such as technical conferences, open days, informative talks, educational activities, etc., to disseminate mine restoration practices, transfer knowledge and change opinion on negative aspects of mining activity.
We are working on
- Organize events and activities to disseminate the project in El Rincón de Ademuz.
- Monitoring the project's works and indicators.
- The replicability strategy so that the techniques implemented are carried out in the restoration of other mines.
- In September and October we will hold informative conferences on mining and environment, in Riodeva (Teruel), to learn about some aspects related to the environmental restoration of the Fortuna mine, such as ornithology, botany, wetlands and mining.
- In September the Module II of the Course will be held new technologies applied in the restoration of mining exploitations.
- In October we expect a visit from a Swedish mining company that is interested in TECMINE techniques.
Check the project agenda on the main website so you don't miss anything!
The LIFE TECMINE project and this website's content have been funded with the support of the LIFE Programme of the European Union.
*This publication [communication] reflects the views only of the author/s, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.